Clinical Nurse Consultant, Suzie Flynn, Cancer Services, St Vincent’s Private Hospital Sydney, says:
“This webinar series for Close the Gap is extremely informative and the knowledgeable speakers highlight the amazing work that is happening around Australia for our Indigenous Australians but it also hits home the alarming statistics of the disparity of cancer incidence and responsive cancer care in Aboriginal communities. The series also emphasizes how vital it is to have culturally appropriate care coordination and support for clients who are going through their cancer journey but also that it’s the responsibility of the healthcare system and all people working within to address and raise awareness of cancer and the impact of cancer on our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.”
CLOSING THE GAP IN CANCER
1) First Nations Close The Gap – Research Webinar 4 broadcast 10th June 2021. https://youtu.be/2kfbeDPgtkI Duration: 1 hour 36mins.
The webinar includes interviews & video footage with Aboriginal health staff in Adelaide, Darwin, Borroloola, Albury Wodonga, Canberra & Melbourne.
The Co-Host is Prof Jacinta Elston, Chair, Cancer Australia’s Leadership Group on Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Cancer Control.
2) Tom Calma – Tackling Indigenous Smoking – Close The Gap – First Nations https://youtu.be/quYnQuUJ-Ps Duration: 8 minutes.
3) Annie Taylor – Cancer Council NT- Close The Gap – First Nations https://youtu.be/Ex4lLer7kew Duration: 14 minutes.
4) Michael Penniment & Kar Giam – Alan Walker Cancer Centre Darwin – Close The Gap – First Nations https://youtu.be/ows4qDtNuU4 Duration: 13 minutes.
5) Lynne Thorne & Denise Karpany – Royal Adelaide Hospital – Close The Gap – First Nations. Duration: 18 minutes.
6) Craig Underhill – Albury Wodonga Health – Close The Gap – First Nations https://youtu.be/bqf0ICCdY98 Duration: 7 minutes.
7) Albury Wodonga Aboriginal Health Service – Close The Gap – First Nations https://youtu.be/D7mpKm3Xwx8 Duration: 13 minutes.