ENT Clinical Nurse Consultant
TOPIC : Supporting state-wide Paediatric tracheostomy care
Jodie Ballantine is currently the ENT Clinical Nurse Consultant for the Queensland children’s hospital. She completed her nursing training through the Royal Brisbane hospital program 1988, receiving a Bachelor of Nursing from QUT Kelvin Grove in 1996 and has specialised in paediatric ENT Nursing since 2000.
The ENT Clinical Nurse Consultant (CNC) and Clinical Nurse (CN) Service The ENT Specialist Nursing Service is a state-wide service based at the QCH. This service provides clinical leadership, in collaboration with the multidisciplinary paediatric ENT Team, to deliver a broad range of inpatient and outpatient clinical services. These services include education, planning, pre- and post-operative cares, supporting agencies, for example NDIS, and connection to regional Hospital and Health services for the case management of ENT patients.
The ENT Specialist Nursing Service is accountable at an advanced practice level for the coordination of clinical practice for patients including:
- Otology – major ear surgery and hearing implant requirements
- Rhinology – nasal reconstruction and treatment of nasal congestion
- Laryngology – patients with complex airways both with and without tracheostomies
- Head and Neck conditions – thyroidectomy, excision of abscesses and brachial clefts
- General ENT – grommet insertion and adenotonsillectomy